9 Mile Lessons.

I’m taking a break from homework to write this blog post. I don’t understand why I am taking a break from WRITING to WRITE, but I am. Plus, I miss you guys.

For the past few days I have been eating non-stop. It’s all fruit and veggies and protein bars, but it feels so out of control… and I can’t seem to help it. I’m supposed to be in a wedding in a couple of weeks. I hope the dress still fits…

This was floating around on facebook yesterday. I’m pretty sure I feel like the last pink Omnomnomnomivore…. RAWR!!


Anyways, All jokes aside…

I had a really tough run yesterday. I struggled whether or not to write about it because I was bummed and I really don’t want to revisit it. However, after thinking more about it, instead of just putting it out of my mind, I realized that I learned some really valuable lessons yesterday that could be of use to you guys.  Or at least I can write about and this post can serve as a reminder to me the lessons that I learned.

Yesterday was my “long run” day. I have been really pushing myself the last three weeks to make it to crossfit and do at least ONE two-a-day workout a week that includes crossfit in the morning and running in the afternoon. My feet have been feeling great, my shoulder (from a past injury) hasn’t been giving me problems. I’ve been taking rest days when I need to and increasing my protein intake. I realized a couple of weeks ago how LITTLE protein I eat, so i’ve been trying to cook more and add it back into my diet. With that said, this weekend I took two rest days because i was busy and because my legs had been sore all week from pushing myself. So I rested and got up monday morning to 90% chance of rain and a 9 mile run. I dressed, put my fuel belt on and interlaced my raincoat with my fuel belt. When I got to the greenway, I took my hearing aid off and left my phone in the car because it was pretty windy and the sky was pretty dark. It felt like the sky would burst at any moment.

I set out on my run, I was stringing two frequently run trails together to make 9 miles. Four miles into the run, my right foot started hurting. I thought it was my plantar fasciitis again so I stopped and stretched it and walked on it. When I walked I felt fine, so I picked up my pace and kept running. I stopped and walked periodically to walk off the pain. By the time 4.5 miles came, I had almost 5 miles left to go back to my car. I was second guessing myself. The pain was so bad there was no “running my doubt into the ground” because the ground was shoving my doubt right back into me with every strike of the pavement.

I went to the pocket I usually carry my phone in and remembered, as a drop of rain fell and hit my forearm, that I didn’t bring my phone. Oh crap, I thought. 5 miles back to the car, what am I going to do? I walked/hobbled ran another mile or so. The pain was so intense that I stopped and sat down in the middle of the trail with my shoe off, massaging my foot. I looked around the trail and saw a mcdonalds at the top of the hill. I could go call someone!! I thought…and then it suddenly occurred to me…I don’t have anyone’s number memorized. The only number I know by heart is my mother’s number and she’s 12 hours away in Louisiana.

There was only one option.


Except the “keep running” option didn’t look as pretty as this picture and it was more like “keep walking/limping/moving”. I was so angry at myself for not thinking to bring my phone. What was I THINKING?! Why i didn’t I put it in a ziplock bag and keep it in my rain jacket?? am I NUTS?! I felt insane, but a different kind of insane than the kind i feel at crossfit. Today I felt insane insane. Like for real. Who doesn’t memorize phone numbers?! That’s like MEGA Important!

When I put my shoe on and stood back up, nausea hit me. I groaned. I have to make it 4 more miles. I started running until I couldn’t anymore and then walking a few minutes and continuing that method while stopping and stretching my foot out every so often.

By mile 7, I was in so much pain that I reached on my side and pulled out my water from my fuel belt. As I tilted my head back to drink, I felt sweat drip to the back of my neck. My face felt flushed. The water went into my mouth and got caught in my throat. I couldn’t swallow. I stopped walking and put all the pressure on my good foot, water came trickling/spraying out of my nose. Pain radiated from my foot. Tears burned my eyes. I tried to choke what water I could get down. I tried to pep-talk myself Go Sara. You can keep going. You can make it back to the car. You can do it. I tried to breathe.

Needless to say, I made it back to my car. Alive. My foot is sore and achy today. My whole body sort of hurts. I can move my foot and even walk on it, but i feel like when i put pressure on it, i’m afraid to hurt like it did yesterday, so i’ve just not been using it much. I also have a doctor appointment for Friday. I’m super excited about this because I am nervous about having a stress fracture in my foot. That would be 6 weeks without running… and the St Judes race is in late April. I don’t have 6 weeks to quit running… but health does come first.

So let’s overview of what I learned:

  • Always bring your cell phone.
  • Memorize at least two numbers from Knoxville, Numbers form Louisiana won’t help. 
  • In the past, I usually make my route to where I pass my car at least once in the middle of my route so If I need anything, I can get it. I’m never usually  more than 2 or 3 miles from my car. I will continue to use this method from now on. 
  • Next time THINK about calling a taxi or cab. that never occurred to me until after the fact. I had cash with me. I keep cash in my fuelbelt in case i’m stuck and need a drink or a snack. I should have thought to call a cab. 
  • Always let someone know where I’m going. 
  • The fact that I have to take my hearing aid out for sweaty, long runs and rainy runs makes me nervous and wish I had a running dog for a partner… I’ve almost been trampled by cyclists. Do any other hard of hearing/deaf people experience this or have ways/methods to make sure safety is first?


This felt a lot like a failure… yes I did run my 9 miles. it took me 1 hour and 45 mins, but i didn’t run it safely. I didn’t run it with my safety-first rule. This was really disappointing to me. We have to remember though that it’s a setback. Setbacks and Failures are different.



About scarmich

A girl in her 20's looking at love, life, and laughter in the mundane.

5 responses to “9 Mile Lessons.

  1. Carolyn

    This is a great post to remind everyone about running safety. I’d think about creating a few running shirts on Zazzle or Cafe Press that say, “Pass loudly. Hard of Hearing.” Or something to let people know you can’t hear them coming behind you! This is just a thought. I hope it’s not offensive in any way. Be safe out there, friend.

    • This is a good idea! I have thought about making a shirt that says something like “Deaf runner, pass on left” or something like that… But I feel like it may make me a target for predators and mean people…

  2. mom

    WOW! Your experience sounds like an episode of survivor, but at least you’ve learned valuable lessons. So, all is not lost

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 108 other followers

%d bloggers like this: